NFTs dedicated mailboxes

Allow each NFT to have their own dedicated mailbox.

NFT contract should be able to specify if it wants dedicated mailboxes or if emails should be relayed to token owners

1 Like

has any progress been made regarding this?

Not yet, I’m focusing on releasing new cryptoauth.

But we can make some progress by specifying requirements.

Message Storage

Which sound better?

• NFT dedicated mailbox, but it is “virtual”, when email is addressed to it the message is redirected to current owner of NFT. When the NFT is transferred to new owner, they don’t have access to previous communication.
  • Real dedicated mailbox - with it’s own message storage. When NFT is transferred, new owner has access to all previous communication.

I imagine that those could be alternate options configured per NFT but we need to start somewhere.

Email address scheme

NFT mailboxes would need to use different domain names than ethmail.cc to prevent clashes with ENS

I can do dedicated domains per NFT type e.g. somename@cryptokitties.co OR provide one NFT domain e.g. @niftymail.cc and differentiate NFT types in name part e.g. somename.cryptokitties@niftymail.cc

The problem is about how to map NFT token ids to human readable names. I could cooperate with NFT contract owners to provide some kind of naming scheme where names would be guaranteed to be unique and in one-to-one relation with given NFT token id. Or there would need to exist a system similar to ENS for naming NFTs globally.

If you can contact any company/team willing to experiment I’ll be happy to talk with them.

i think the virtual idea might be best but could maybe be decided by some kind of poll and for the scheme the niftymail idea sounds best as it is probably easiest to make / remember for users as for human readable names that might be a harder one the token ids would just maybe be id.contract@niftymail.cc but the main problem might be getting all those names added especially with potential fakes but maybe with an add on demand for contract names?

This is fascinating. I’d vote for “virtual” email, so only current owner would see it.

For context - I work on Foundation (https://foundation.app/), and the use case I’m imagining would be an artist wanting to reach out to their collectors to give them exclusive news or access.

For email scheme, I think you can stick with :@niftymail.cc. One domain per NFT type seems like it’ll get painful fast.

I have some ideas. ping me @apetersson on Telegram or @yellowhatcoder on twitter. We develop crypto.post.at

Thanks for the responses, I’ve been thinking about it and currently I’m leaning towards creating virtualmailboxes (messages will be routed to owner mailbox) for all* NFT projects with email scheme [Token_ID].[SmartContract_Address]@niftymail.cc.
This will give all people owning NFTs ability to communicate.

(* all within reason and my technical capabilities, some projects have crazy smart contract structures)

It will be the first step.

As a second step I will work with NFT project individually to provide more human readable address schemes (most probably using project domain) and customized mailboxes. Then the project would be able to define which type of mailbox it want’s to provide.

This is great! I am working with Satoshi Records to pass music royalties to NFT owners so will be following for any updates. Both virtual and real dedicated options would be ideal.